Chocolate is a treat enjoyed by all age groups. It is sweet, creamy, rich, and delicious. It goes well with all kinds of toppings such as nuts, honey, caramel, and even chilies. Chocolate is the universal sweet dish we all love. You can incorporate it in pies, cookies, cakes, and even Indian dishes like laddoo, barfi, etc. There is more to this scrumptious delight than just taste.
Here is a list of interesting Chocolate facts that will enlighten you while you enjoy your treat.
1. Chocolate comes from the tree called Theobroma Cacao, it is native to the tropical regions of Mesoamerica. The ancient tribe of this region used to call the cocoa bean as the “Food of the Gods”.
2. It is scientifically proven that the rich smell of chocolate triggers relaxation since it increases theta brain waves.
3. It takes around 400 cacao beans to make one pound of chocolate.
4. The reason why chocolate melts in your mouth is that it is the only edible substance that has a melting point of 32 degrees. this temperature is just below human body temperature.
5. Chocolate can give you an energy boost because it contains certain amounts of caffeine. You can not substitute a cup of coffee but you can get micro boosts of energy throughout the day
6. Europe is responsible for producing almost half of the world’s chocolate, So any chocolate lovers out there you know where to plan your next vacation.
7. The world’s largest chocolate bar was made by a company called Thortons, This chocolate bar weighs 5,792.50 kilograms.
8. The first-ever chocolate bar in the world is made by the beloved English company called Cadbury in the year 1842
9. The delicious hazelnut spread, Nutella was invented in world war two. The Italian pastry chef added hazelnuts to the mix since there wasn’t enough chocolate to feed the customers.
10. The most expensive bar of chocolate is made by an English company called Cadbury, This chocolate bar is wrapped in an edible gold leaf.
11. We all know the different types of chocolate: dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and white chocolate. but white chocolate isn’t exactly chocolate as it does not contain cocoa solids or cocoa liquor, it only contains cocoa butter, milk, and sugar.
12. Dark chocolate poses many benefits such as increasing the flow of blood and reducing blood pressure and preventing the risk of heart disease by one-third.
13. During the Mayan times, the cocoa bean was so valuable they used it as currency. It was worth more than gold. Yes, that’s true, do read this amazing article on history of chocolates.
14. Next time you find an unwanted pest such as mice, don’t lay out traps with cheese. Contrary to popular belief, mice love chocolate more than cheese.
15. The chocolate industry is worth more than $110 billion per year.
16. The chocolate milk we enjoy every winter morning was invented in Jamaica. Sir Hans Sloane, an Irish botanist is said to have mixed chocolate with milk in the early 1700s. Chocolate milk is very beneficial as it has high nutritional value and it is good for cognitive functions
17. We have heard that the German Chocolate Cake is one of the most decadent and delicious dishes. Traditionally this cake is made with sweet baking chocolate, coconut, and pecan nuts. and it is invented by Sam German. So next time you dig into a classic German Chocolate Cake you know who to thank.
18. Brussels airport sells the most chocolate in the world. It sells over 800 tons of chocolate a year.
19. A bar of dark chocolate has as much caffeine as a can of coca-cola. So next time you think of drinking this sugary beverage, swap it with a much healthier chocolate bar.
20. In the 1971 movie, “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” there was a river made of chocolate and this was not graphics as the river was made with 15,000 gallons of water and chocolate. Though this seems like every child’s dream, This river had gone bad fairly quickly and the cast reported that it smelled bad.
21. The biggest chocolate sculpture ever made was a 10-foot high easter egg weighing 2,034 kg in Melbourne, Australia.
22. There are two types of cocoa beans: Forastero beans and Crillo beans. Forastero beans are easier to grow but crillo beans are more delicious.
23. Chocolate cravings are so intense that it is proven only chocolate can satisfy that craving, no other food can take its place. So next time you get chocolate cravings, give in to it and indulge in a delicious bar of chocolate.
24. Cocoa butter is derived from the cocoa bean. It is used in cosmetic products as well as massage oils, It provides great hydration and it is easily dissolved into the skin.
25. You may feel that chocolate is bad for you. Despite having high-fat content chocolate does not raise blood cholesterol. Here Are 15 Surprising Health Benefits of Chocolates.
26. More than 7 billion chocolate chips are eaten every year.
27. One cocoa tree takes a year to produce around 10 normal sized bars.
28. Death by chocolate isn’t just a popular dessert. In the 17th century, the poison was injected into chocolate which caused the death of a Spanish Bishop. Ever since then chocolates were banned in church premises.
29. Pure cocoa prevents tooth decay as it has anti-bacterial properties. Unsweetened cocoa powder has a high nutritional value.
30. Chocolate was the inspiration to Percy Spence. He was a scientist working on world war two radar. He noticed that when he was close to the magnetron the chocolate in his pocket would melt.
This is when he realized that magnetrons could be used to heat food and thus the microwave was invented.
31. There is a general dilemma that if you eat more chocolate you will gain weight. but a study shows that teenagers who regularly consumed chocolate (in moderation) have shown a significant change in waist circumference and body mass index. So if you are planning to go on a diet don’t forget to include chocolate some chocolate.
32. Chocolate plays a vital role in celebrations. It is a staple in holidays such as Halloween and Valentines’ Day. But there is an exclusive day dedicated only to chocolate. July 7th is known as chocolate day. It is said that on this day in 1550 chocolate was brought to Europe. July 28th is known as national milk chocolate day. International Chocolate Day is observed on 13th September. November 7th is known as National Bittersweet Chocolate Day With Almonds. So mark your calendars and stock up on chocolates.
33. Chocolate was considered medicine and was even used to treat cough. Studies show that chocolate is a better remedy for cough rather than cough syrup.
34. Chocolate milk was sold as medicine in Ireland in the early 1900s
35. Chocolate syrup was used as blood in black and white films, so next time you come across an old film make sure you look closely at the scary scenes.
36. Though chocolate was first cultivated in Mesoamerica, nearly 70% of the world’s chocolate comes from Africa. Ivory Coast in Africa produces around 30% of chocolate. It is the single largest producer in the world. There are an estimated 1.5 million cocoa farms in West Africa. The average size of a cacao farm in West Africa is 7 to 10 acres.
37. Dark chocolate has an incredible source of antioxidants and flavonoids. Chocolate improves memory, blood flow and also reduces blood pressure.
38. Chocolate is known to protect your skin from harmful sun rays. Cocoa powder has high nutritional value and thereby provides antioxidants that protect you from the sun. So stock up on sunscreen and chocolate for the summer season.
39. Chocolate reduces heart disease and improves blood flow to the heart. The chemicals present in chocolate dilate the arteries and improve blood flow
40. Though chocolate is a tasty treat for you, your pet is better off without it. Theobromine present in chocolate is lethal to pets, so avoid feeding chocolate to your pets.
Chocolate is a sweet tasty treat, not only is it packed with nutrition but also the efforts put into making it is tremendous. After reading these interesting facts on chocolate I hope we motivated you to grab a piece of chocolate. If you are looking for a place to buy chocolates for any occassion – like diwali or Christmas or Baby birth announcements – baby shower we recommend www.chocovira.in they have a wide range of delectable chocolates with a wide range of flavors.